ASCH and its affiliate, the ASCH-Education and Research Foundation, jointly sponsor basic, intermediate and advanced level instruction through our professional training in clinical hypnosis. These Regional Workshops are held four to six times a year. ASCH makes every effort to hold workshops in all regions of the US.
Basic Workshop: Fundamentals of Hypnosis
Why pursue training in Clinical Hypnosis? What are the benefits?
Clinicians who are trained in clinical hypnosis learn a range of communication skills that facilitate reaching the therapeutic goal through more effective utilization of the patient’s or client’s innate resources. Clinical hypnosis incorporates the science of neurobiology and brain plasticity, and its principles are trans-theoretical. Suggestion is an inevitable part of any treatment. Learning hypnosis allows you to better understand how you currently use suggestive language in your treatment approaches and how to increase and diversify your range of skills in suggesting therapeutic possibilities.
• Rapidly establish rapport and the hypnotic relationship across developmental ages;
• Facilitate change, Ego-strengthen and reduce impediments to change;
• Cost-effective, collaborative, person centered treatment; and
• Provide clients and patients with life-long skills for better health.
The Basic clinical hypnosis training is the first part of a series of workshops in the certification program for clinical hypnosis. A diverse faculty from a range of health disciplines will teach you the principles and process of hypnotic inductions, suggestions and treatment. The workshop is a mix of didactic presentations, demonstrations, experiential exercises and faculty-led small group practice tailored to the specific needs and learning style of each participant. At the conclusion of the workshop you will have been taught the basic skills required to utilize clinical hypnosis and begin to apply it to your practice.
Intermediate Workshop: Refining Skills and Treatment Applications
What are the advantages of more training in Clinical Hypnosis?
The second step in certification training is to strengthen your skills, strategies and applications of clinical hypnosis. Part one taught you “how to” do clinical hypnosis, and part two builds on this skill set and refines and furthers your development so you add the when, why and where to the “how to”.
- Introduction to a wider range of topics on the utility of clinical hypnosis (e.g., Pain Management; Irritable Bowel Syndrome; Anxiety and Sleep Disorders; Habit Disorders; Dissociative Identify Disorder);
- Learn more techniques for the creative use of the language of suggestion to facilitate change;
- Learn specific tools (complex inductions and intensification techniques) for specific populations (children; procedural hypnosis; PTSD); and
- More practice with the feedback of expert faculty.
The Intermediate Workshop increases your skills and builds confidence in your use of hypnosis. It prepares you to move on to the Advanced Workshop level and Individual Consultation with a strong basis of skills and understanding of the principles and practice of clinical hypnosis.
Advanced level workshops are topical. Recent professional training workshops have focused on behavioral medicine, health psychology, hypnosis and pediatrics, and mind-body medicine.
Participants are encouraged to attend these workshops in sequence in order to make the most of each workshop. Skills mastered in the basic and intermediate levels are essential to fully benefiting from the advanced level workshops.
Regional Workshop Schedule - Each of the following locations will offer a Basic, Intermediate and an Advanced Workshop unless otherwise stated.
• April 23-26, 2015 - ASCH Regional Workshop; Hyatt Regency St. Louis at the Arch; St. Louis, MO (Host hotel is sold out. See below for alternate options close by.)(PDF Brochure)
Integrating Hypnosis and Health Psychology (Advanced Workshop)
The Hyatt Regency at the Arch is sold out. Though ASCH does NOT have. a block at any of the following hotels, all are within easy walking distance to the Hyatt. Map of downtown St Louis including hotels.
Crowne Plaza St. Louis - Downtown Courtyard St. Louis Downtown HILTON ST. LOUIS DOWNTOWN AT THE ARCH
THE WESTIN ST. LOUIS
• June 7-14, 2015 - ASCH Workshop at Sea; Holland America Lines, Alaska Inside Passage - (Short Schedule)
There will only be a 12-hour Advanced Workshop offered during this cruise.
BREAKING NEWS - Registration has been reopened to accommodate an additional 15 paid registrants!
Hypnosis and Pain Management Through Self-hypnosis Training with Mark P. Jensen, PhD
This 12-hour workshop, which is limited to the first 20 registrants, will provide an overview of hypnotic strategies and suggestions for helping individuals better self-manage chronic pain conditions and health behaviors. It will begin with a discussion of the neurophysiology of nociception and pain, focusing on nine specific processes and physiological structures involved in pain perception, and that can be influenced by hypnotic suggestions. Evidence regarding pain’s impact on other functioning domains (e.g., diet, activity level, sleep, mood) will be discussed, and ideas for hypnotic suggestions and approaches for addressing all of these domains and processes will be generated. A model for performing a complete evaluation of the outcome domains that hypnosis can benefit in persons with chronic pain will be presented, and methods for developing a pain treatment plan based on this evaluation will be discussed. Strategies for integrating hypnosis with other approaches with proven efficacy (e.g., cognitive therapy and Motivational Interviewing) to enhance overall treatment benefits will also be introduced. The emphasis of the workshop will be on applied clinical technique; demonstrations, brief exercises and the opportunity for consultation will be included. Participants will also have the opportunity to learn about the neurophysiological basis of behavior change, and practice self-hypnosis strategies for addressing their own health behavior goals. After participating in the workshop, participants will have the resources and skills to evaluate a patient with chronic pain for hypnosis treatment, and design a treatment intervention that addresses the various problems identified.
• June 18-21, 2015 - ASCH Regional Workshop; Crowne Plaza Old Town Alexandria, Alexandria, VA (PDF Brochure)
In addition to offering the Basic and Intermediate Workshops, ASCH will be offering the following Advanced Workshop in Alexandria: Hypnosis in Psychotherapy for Anxiety Disorders and Depression
Thursday, June 18, 2015 & Friday, June 19, 2015
CURB YOUR ANXIETY WITH HYPNOSIS
Carolyn Daitch, Ph.D.
Helping clients manage anxiety is a common clinical challenge. Therapists need quick, practical, and easy-to-learn tools that can mitigate the highly reactive responses of anxiety-prone clients. This workshop will present a selection of interventions integrating hypnosis with a range of treatment modalities including mindfulness, cognitive, and behavioral approaches. It will give participants a strong knowledge base as well as specific and innovative hypnotic protocols for the treatment of anxiety. The workshop will be both didactic and experiential, and includes case examples.
Workshop Objectives: At the conclusion of this session, participants will be able to:
(1) Articulate the rationale for integrating hypnosis with mindfulness-based and cognitive behavioral therapies in the treatment of anxiety;
(2) Identify three factors that can contribute to the development of anxiety disorders;
(3) Demonstrate four hypnotherapeutic interventions for managing anxiety; and
(4) Demonstrate two hypnotherapeutic interventions for managing anxiety-related uncertainty and avoidance responses.
Saturday, June 20, 2015 & Sunday, June 21, 2015
EVIDENCE-BASED PSYCHOTHERAPY FOR DEPRESSION
Assen Alladin, Ph.D., R.Psych.
This hand on Workshop is based on over 30 years of clinical experience and a three-year clinical trial comparing CBT with Cognitive Hypnotherapy in the management of chronic depression (Alladin, A., & Alibhai, A. Cognitive-hypnotherapy for depression: An empirical investigation. International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis, 2007, 55, 2, 147-166). The Workshop will present a multi-modal empirically-supported treatment protocol for depression. The treatment techniques described are based on the Circular Feedback Model of Depression, which provides the grounding for integrating cognitive, hypnotic and unconscious strategies in the management of unipolar depression. The Workshop will be invaluable for therapists who wish to expand their understanding, clinical skills and expertise in the management of clinical depression.
Workshop Objectives: At the conclusion of this session, participants will be able to:
(1) Establish theoretical and empirical rationale for integrating hypnosis with CBT and psychodynamic therapy in the treatment of depression.
(2) Present practical CBT techniques for treating depression
(3) Present hypnotherapeutic methods for breaking the depressive cycle.
(4) Demonstrate cognitive restructuring techniques under hypnosis.
• July 17-19, 2015 - ASCH Individualized Consultation Workshop; Minnetonka, MN (PDF brochure)
• September 17-20, 2015 - ASCH Regional Workshop; Hyatt Regency Chicago-Schaumburg, Schaumburg, IL (Hotel Reservations)
• October 1-4, 2015 - ASCH Regional Workshop; Doubletree by Hilton San Antonio Downtown, San Antonio, TX
Trauma, Dissociation and Clinical Practice: Hypnotic Applications and Technique (Advanced Workshop)
Wendy Lemke, MA, LP and Dennis Pilon, MSW
Pathological Dissociation is one of several symptomatic factors in many trauma-related disorders, often creating a fragmented mind as well as a disconnect from the body. This workshop will focus on hypnotic treatment applications, including Ego State Therapy strategies, that foster integrative solutions to the dissociative pathology as well as other symptomatic manifestations inherent in post-traumatic stress, borderline personality disorder, conversion disorder, depersonalization, dissociative disorder NOS, and dissociative identity disorder.
• December 17-20, 2015 - ASCH Regional Workshop; Sheraton Sand Key Resort, Clearwater Beach, FL
• June 23-26, 2016 - ASCH Regional Workshop; Crowne Plaza Old Town Alexandria, Alexandria, VA
• September 15-18, 2016 - ASCH Regional Workshop; Hyatt Regency Schaumburg, Schaumburg, IL
• October 26-28, 2016 - ASCH Regional Workshop; Doubletree by Hilton Austin, Austin, TX
• June 15-18, 2017 - ASCH Regional Workshop; Crowne Plaza Old Town Alexandria, Alexandria, VA
On-Line Registration for Regional Workshops Now Available
On-line registration for Regional Workshops is available by clicking here. Simply complete the form, including payment information, and submit the form. It's that easy!